Monday, August 13, 2012

Celebrating: Those lingering cool days of Spring and Soup!

Celebrating: Those lingering cool days of Spring and Soup!: Yesterday was a little cooler than it has been for the past week, and while 70 degrees is by no means a "cold snap", it was better than the 80+ days we have been having.  Like everywhere else in the US, the south has experienced a very mild winter.  So when it was cool yesterday, I decided a pot of homemade soup would hit the spot. The week before I had boiled a chicken for something else I was making and was left with a pot full of golden stock and into the freezer it went.
I scanned the fridge for what could be used...I had my stock, carrots, peppers, onions and  an open bottle of white wine - good start!  Went to the pantry and grabbed some orzo. And then I began ...sauteing carrots, pepper and onions with a little EVOO and sprinkling with some dried thyme, fresh ground pepper and salt.  Poured in my stock , brought it  to a rolling boil , added a rather large gurgle of wine then the Orzo (which I got a little too heavy handed)




.   While it was simmering I added some fresh basil and sprigs of rosemary.  I decided I needed to add some green and remembered a can of Italian green peas that I had purchased at "the good" farmers market.  Drained and into the pot they went. And just because I could,. I tossed in a handful of little potatoes that were about the size of a nickel.  My kitchen was smelling soooo good! I fought back the urge to ladle up a bowl and did manage to let it simmer about 45 minutes.



I just cannot express what a difference a homemade stock will make.  It has such a rich, intense flavor!  And while a carton of store bought stock is absolutely acceptable (and admittedly what I use the majority of the time) -homemade sure does make a difference. It is so satisying to start with a blank canvas, or in this case a plain bowl of stock, to add a little bit of this and a little bit of that and produce your own masterpeice!  And what a pleasure it was to finally sit down with my bowl of creativity and savor each spoonful!





Ya'll come back!

Susan
May the Lord bless his people with peace and happiness and let then CELEBRATE!  Psalm 64:10

*Originally posted March 29, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment