Monday, August 13, 2012

Celebrating: Cleaning the Fridge!

Celebrating: Cleaning the Fridge!: Tomorrow is trash day.  And also the day (I'll admit not weekly) that I go thru the fridge to see what needs to be pitched.  As I peered into each shelve, I found several things that had long since passed their expiration date, but also found a little bit of this and a little bit of that.  Not enough to do much with, but I hated to just toss.  I found a chicken breast, artichokes and about 1/4 cup fire roasted tomatoes and set them on the counter.  While I was at it, I decided to check the freezer to see what I could purge (so I could have room for my ice cream freezer, I might add).  I found a bag with 1/4 cup of chopped onions, some Naan that had been there awhile and an open bag of cut okra.

So, I sat there looking at the counter pondering how I could use this stuff and not have to toss anything.
I decided to definitely bake my okra, so I gave it an egg wash and rolled it in panko, tossed in the oven 375 for 30 minutes.  I pulled out my skillet and started to saute the onions, chopped the artichokes, added the tomatoes shredded the chicken added water and a squirt or two or three of Unami paste.  On a whim I threw in some capers and a little juice.  I charred a piece of Naan, for I really needed something to soak up the rich tomato broth that my creation had produced.    Let me just say, and I am not going to be modest, that it was delicious!  I was so proud of myself - I made a wonderful meal out of something that I would have ordinarily tossed because there was not much left of any of it.  It was just pure luck that I had these food items at the same time!  Talk about turning trash into treasure!!!!






And the very best part is that I have leftovers!



Ya'll come back!









Susan
May the Lord bless his people with peace and happiness and let them CELEBRATE! Psalm 64:10

 *Originally posted April 11, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment