Monday, August 13, 2012

Celebrating: Thanksgiving!

Celebrating: Thanksgiving!:

Thanksgiving 2011 was very different this year.  In "Thanksgivings Past" we have always had a full house and enough food to feed at least a dozen more and still have leftovers!  This year Mom had knee replacement surgery on 11/11/11, so Thanksgiving would find her still "rehabilitating" at LifeCare of Gwinnett.  So, Chuck and his family celebrated with Niki's family and Eric took "the girls" to his family in Alabama.  This left Charlene, Mom and I to celebrate a quiet day together.  Since the Center is so close to my house (1/2 mile), we decided to "spring mom from the joint" for the afternoon, if she was feeling adventurous.

Since it was just the 3 of us, I opted to do a Roast chicken, rather than turkey. Truth be known, we would much rather have chicken than turkey!  Between the two of us, we put out an outstanding spread, if I don't say so myself!  Roast Chicken, my Mom's dressing (Charlene threatened me if i did anything other than Moms dressing -some things just can't be messed with!), gravy, mashed potatoes, green beans, sweet potato dumplin's (my favorite), slaw, deviled eggs, homemade cranberry/blueberry sauce and rolls. Pecan pie and Apple Cake with caramel sauce and whipped cream came much later!




We sure did miss everyone gathered at her table, but our little celebration served the purpose of being Thankful for God's bounty. 

I am so very thankful for my family, whether we are all gathered at the table together or at another table. I am thankful Mom's surgery was successful and she is on the path to recovery.  I am thankful for my extended family and many friends. I am thankful I got the majority of my Christmas shopping done on Black Friday. And, I am really thankful that The University of Georgia beat Georgia Tech!

My feature recipe comes from my sister Charlene.  Her famous Sweet Potato Dumplings.  If you are looking for a "different" way to serve sweet potatoes. this recipe is for you!   Also great with a Pork Chop!

Sweet Potato Dumplings

4 sm. baked sweet potatoes                          3/4 cup sugar
1 pkg. cresent rolls                                       1/2 stick butter
1 cup water                                                  1 tsp vanilla

Peel and cut in half each baked potato.  Form each piece into a ball.  separate crescent rolls.  Place ball of sweet potato in crescent roll.  Roll up and place seam side down in a casserole dish.  Combine water, sugar, butter and vanilla in a sauce pan.  Heat to boil.  Pour over the eight potato rolls.  bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

Note - You can also use frozen sweet potato patties  instead of baked sweet potaoes.  Some like this as a dessert instead of a side dish!


Ya'll come back!

Susan

May the Lord bless his people with peace and happines and let them Celebrate!
Psalm 64:10

*Originally posted March 4, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment