Monday, August 13, 2012

Celebrating: Road trips!

Celebrating: Road trips!: I was really thinking the Fall colors this year have not been as vibrant as years past.  I thought perhaps our drought had really made its impact not only on our lakes, but our trees. I have been walking in the park surrounded by trees and it just wasn't what I imagined it was going to look like.  However, like most everything else in my life, I was being impatient. For this past weekend it finally erupted into a kaleidoscope of  oranges, reds and yellows.  The street leading into my subdivision is a flurry of color and the walk in the park is a glorious experience. And, I know God loves me for he has painted the sky each day with my favorite color!

It was the perfect weekend for a short "road trip" into the North Georgia mountains.  Mom, Aunt Mona and I set out Friday afternoon for our overnight adventure.  We took our time and stopped along the way to check out a couple of Antique houses and arrived in Cleveland, Ga. (where we stayed) just in time to beat the dinner crowd. Dinner at Ma Gooches was great!

Then up and off early Saturday morning to go to Helen.  Helen, Ga is a charming town nestled in the mountains that resembles a German village, and is easily one of the most popular tourist destinations in Georgia. It is a wonderful place to visit during Octoberfest, but Christmas is enchanting!  We made one pit stop - an open aire Flea market was too hard to resist!  We got to Helen rather early, so we decided on the spur of the moment to just continue driving up to Hiawassee, which is REALLY in the mountains.  What a great decision that turned out to be!  The mountains were spectacular!  Every curve proved to be an even more brilliant scene than the one before! Once we arrived in Hiawassee, we managed to find another antique shop to plunder!  I am looking for a certain item, of which I found a couple,  but they just were not "it" so my search continues!

Once back in Helen, I think that half  of the state of Georgia had decided to go there as well.  Unfortunately, it was lunch time, so all the restaurants were filled, with lots of people waiting, and we missed out on the German cuisine typical for Helen.  We shopped a bit in Helen, tasted some great Fudge samples and watched the cutest show with a dog and some parrots. Then a quick stop for lunch outside of town, for we had one more stop before home.

Jaemore Farms was on the way home, so of course we had to stop.!  I think the other half of Georgia was there attending a fall festival with "bouncies" and a corn maze.  But the thing on our mind was apples!  And they didn't disappoint - lots of varieties to choose from!  Mom got a basket full for baking and hopefully making my personal favorite  - Apple Danish!  I'm sure the dehydrator was humming on Monday.  I also managed to find lots of other fall treats - cider and pumpkin butter were in my buggy along with a wedge of hoop cheese for Grilled cheese sandwiches, for it makes the very best!

What a great mini trip!  Antiques, apples and breathtaking scenery is hard to top, but sharing it with Mom and Aunt Mona made it even more special!  The sound of their giggling and telling funny stories of  their past , you just can't put a price on that! It will truly be a weekend to remember!

Apple Danish
6-8 apples                              1 egg separated
1 cup sugar                             1/2 cup milk
1 tsp cinnamon                        1 cup shortening (I use Crisco)
1 tsp vanilla                             1/2 cup crushed cornflakes
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour

Peel & slice apple.  Mix apples, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla and set aside.  Mix flour, milk, egg yolk and shortening.  Divide dough.  Roll half of dough out to fill a cookie sheet,  Place cornflakes on crust.  Spread apple mixture over the cornflakes.  Roll out the other half of dough and cover the apples.  Beat the egg white until stiff and brush the top of crust.  Bake 45 minutes at 350 degrees.  When slightly cool, mix glaze and drizzle over crust.

Glaze

1 cup powdered sugar            3 TBS milk
1 TBS butter melted

However, you know me and the dough thing... I would be using Pillsbury Rollout pie crust!

Ya'll come back!

Susan
May the Lord bless his people with peace and happiness and let the m CELEBRATE!
Psalm 64:10


*Originally posted November 4, 2011






No comments:

Post a Comment