Monday, August 13, 2012

Celebrating: Fireworks & the 4th!

Celebrating: Fireworks & the 4th!: One Nation under God! How lucky are we, as Americans, to wake up in this great nation every day.  I am afraid that I take this privilege for granted.  I complain about this heat yet half way across the world there are men and women defending our Nation, in far worse conditions, to ensure that I have  freedom.    So on the 4th I will celebrate their sacrifice for me, as well as the sacrifice of our forefathers who had the great vision of the United States of America. Yes, sir, I am proud to be an American!

And celebrate we do...road races (Good luck Peachtree runnners!)  parades, cookouts and the grand finale...fireworks! We have always been fortunate enough to have fabulous fireworks displays on the 4th.  Lenox Square has a great one along with a wonderful musical program and you just can't beat Stone Mountain's show!  However, usually half of the metro Atlanta  is at one and the other half is at the other - which generally involves a 2 hour traffic jam that kinda erases that  "feel-good" feeling about your fellow American.  So where do I go??? I go to Snellville!  Snellville is a little town right next to me and they have been doing a show for years. In fact, I have quite a few shows to choose from...Norcross, Lawrenceville and now Lilburn is having their 2nd annual show.

We always get there early to ensure a good spot and also to tailgate - for what would the 4th be without food?  We were keeping it easy this year as Charlene and her family were leaving for vacation early the next day. My contribution was cupcakes (so easy with a mix) and I also made a pasta salad.  Pasta salad is one of those foods that require no recipe.  Open up the pantry and just dump in what sounds good!  Since it was going to be outdoors, I decided on a mayo free salad.     I peered in the fridge and pantry to see what I had on hand  and decided upon a mediterranean inspired salad.  Boiled up some bowties and added capers, marinated artichokes, chopped onion,  green olives, tomatoes and feta cheese poured Italian dressing over the it and there you have it!   Turned out so good! In fact, its what's for dinner tonight!    I'm adding shrimp and it will make a terrific cold summer salad to be enjoyed with a glass of crisp white wine!


Pasta Salad
leftovers great with addition of of shrimp for an easy light summer supper!


Cupcakes - made with a mix, but decorated by me!



It was a fun night with great food, great company and a great show!

Ya'll come back!

Susan
May the Lord bless his people with peace and happiness and let the Celebrate!  Psalm 64:10

*Originally posted  July 6, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment