Monday, August 13, 2012

Celebrating: Family!

Celebrating: Family!:
Celebrating: Family will probably be a recurring theme here at "Sissy Celebrates!"  I have truly been blessed with the best and couldn't possibly come up with enough words to tell you about them in one post!  I am the oldest of three - me, my sister Charlene and brother Chuck.  We had "hands down" the best ever childhood! I might even "go out on a limb" and say we were a wee bit spoiled!   My mom and dad worked very hard to provide the best for us, but giving us a loving home was their greatest gift. 

And, as in most families, the heart of our home was the kitchen. My Mom was a Registered Dietitian and I remember being taught the basic food groups at an early age.  A balanced, home cooked,  delicious meal was on the table every night.

When my first niece, Laurel, was born 16 1/2 years ago, we started a tradition of having dinner together as a family every Friday night and I can proudly say that tradition lives.  It may not happen every single Friday these days, because Friday Night High School Football  has creeped into the schedule, but for the most part Friday is designated as Family Dinner Night for those of us that live close together.  Unfortunately my brother's family now lives too far away to join us on Fridays, so about every other weekend on Saturday or Sunday night  we gather again as a family to catch up with each other and EAT.  My mom will generally lay out a feast to rival Thanksgiving!  And I'm not kidding! It's a table filled with good southern comfort food. Fried okra, stewed corn, peas and cornbread make a regular appearance, and that alone would be great, but I kid you not, we will probably have at least 6 -8 more choices!  She puts out a spread that I would put up against Paula Deen any day!  Not only do we have a heaping plate of food, we have a heaping plate of love which makes it even more special!  And after we have all eaten til we could pop, we fill our plates full of leftovers for the next night! Take Out at its very finest!


Laurel

I am so proud of all my nieces!  Laurel is a junior in High School, has a heavy duty school schedule and is the manager for  the Girls Volleyball Team.  Emily, a freshman, is cheering for the 9th grade basketball team  and baby Ava at 4 1/2 is generally our "after dinner" entertainment! I am one lucky Aunt!  I also lucked out in the "in-law"  department!  Niki & Eric are the best!
Meet my Family!


Chuck & Ava


Niki, Em, Ava and Charlene



Eric


My Mama!
She recently published a cookbook!
 - Stay tuned
for an upcoming Blog Give away to receive a copy!

Last Saturday Night we had our Family dinner and I made a dish I had seen on PD the day before.  It was so good and would be a perfect compliment to an upcoming fall meal.


                                                              

Butternut Squash Casserole (Paula Deen Recipe)

3 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
1 onion, chopped
3 lg eggs 
1/2 cup coconut milk
1 2/2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup raisins *
1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 degree's.  Lightly grease a 2 1/2 qt casserole dish

In a large Dutch Oven,, combine squash and onion; add water to cover.  bring to boil ** over high heat and cook 10 -12 minutes or until squash is tender; drain well.  Spoon squash mixture into lg bowl.
In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, curry powder, salt and pepper.  Add squash mixture.  Beat at medium speed with electric mixer until smooth.  Spoon into prepared baking dish; sprinkle evenly with raisins and coconut.  Bake 400 minutes or until center is set.
Cooks notes
*  I used craisins, because that is what I had on hand. 
**I did not boil my squash, instead I roasted til fork tender.  I also drizzled EVOO over the top and     sprinkled the squash with a bit of cinnamon and cumin.

Enjoy!

Thanks for visiting me!

Susan
May the LORD bless his people with peace and happiness and let them CELEBRATE!
Psalm 64:10

*Originally posted September 8, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment